Skip to main content

Substitute Teachers

Substitute Teacher Requirements

Location: Any district location

In order to be a substitute teacher, you must hold a regular teaching/substitute certificate or have 60 hours of college credit to get an emergency certificate from the Kansas State Department of Education.  For more information on emergency substituting and for an application (Initial Emergency Substitute Form), is available online, go to  Fingerprinting is also required to obtain a certificate.  Fingerprints can be completed at the Augusta Public Safety Department at 2100 Ohio St., with a charge of $10.00.   
 NOTE:  If you are interested in substitute teaching for the district, you must come to the district office for a packet to be considered for substitute teaching.   

‚ÄčDocumentation Required to Substitute Teach All USD 402 substitute teachers are required to file the following documents at the Central Office:  

  • Copy of current teaching certificate or Emergency Substitute Certificate
  • Current health certificate with physician's signature/TB test
  • Signed W-4 form and K-4 Form
  • Oath of Office Form (form enclosed—sign and we will notarize it for you)
  • Employment Eligibility Verification (form I-9 enclosed; we need a copy of your social security card and driver’s license to complete this form)
  • Completed Provisional Employment Background Check Form
  • Other requirements:  Safeschools Training Modules and JasonFlack Suicide  Prevention
  • The Substitute Handbook is available online at by clicking Departments, Human Resources – Substitute Teachers.
  • Current substitute pay is $88.00 per day.
  • If you have any questions, please call Connie at 316-775-5484, Ext. #115, or e-mail Connie at